Regret is “a short, evocative, and achingly beautiful word; an elegy to lost possibilities even in its brief annunciation…Sincere regret may in fact be a faculty for paying attention to the future, for sensing a new tide where we missed a previous one, for experiencing timelessness with a grandchild where we neglected a boy of our own. To regret fully is to appreciate how high the stakes are in even the average human life. Fully experienced, regret turns our eyes, attentive and alert to a future possibly lived better than our past.”Poet David Whyte, Consolations
Learning From Our Mistakes
Learning from our mistakes is one of the greatest marks of becoming stronger every day.
Teaching Pastor Alli Patterson, author of “How to Stay Standing: 3 Essential Practices for Building a Faith that Lasts,” shares about a time in her young married life when she made a mistake. In her candor and disarming honesty, she shares her story in hopes of helping each of us to build a faith that will stand strong during the tests and trials of this life.
Meet Alli Patterson
Listen to more of Alli’s powerful sermons and teachings.https://theallipatterson.com/speaking/
Watch Our Remarkable Conversation on YouTube
Learning From Our Mistakes: What are Your Thoughts, Heartlifter?
Why, when we know that there’s no such thing as perfect, do most of us spend an incredible amount of time and energy trying to be everything to everyone? Is it that we really admire perfection? No – the truth is that we are actually drawn to people who are real and down-to-earth. We love authenticity and we know that life is messy and imperfect.”Brene Brown
This week’s podcast prompts might require a little more thought and introspection than usual.
Here you go:
- In reading David Whyte’s thoughts on REGRET (see above quote), what speaks to you?
- After listening to Alli’s powerful, disarmingly honest account of learning from her mistake(s), what “takeaways” did you hear?
- Listen to our conversation: Learning From Our Mistakes
- Watch on my YouTube Channel
- Get to know ALLI: ALLI PATTERSON
- Read this great article on Forbes.com about learning from past mistakes: READ NOW
- Read this great article on Greater Good about learning from failure: READ NOW
- Please learn more about self-compassion from expert Kristen Neff: TAKE THE QUIZ
- Order my book to learn more about shifting from shaming to gracing: STRONGER EVERY DAY
- Take the Enneagram Test to learn more about the “whys” behind “what” and “how” you move through your life: Here are my favorites: CHESTNUT-PAES or Enneagram Institute or Integrative Enneagram
- Need help in offering yourself more self-compassion or help to shift from shame to grace: Join Heartlift Central or enroll in “Stronger Every Day: The Guide” and gain nine emotional health tools that will lead you to become your most authentic self.
- Email me with your thoughts: email@example.com.