When a child shuts down his painful emotional side, he also loses the ability to express his joyous side. Emotions are a whole. With anger comes the ability to express delight; with sadness comes the ability to express lightheartedness. This is the breadth of emotion that allows an adult to experience intimacy with a spouse, with God, and with his children.”David Carder et al., Secrets of Your Family Tree: Healing for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
The Power of Smell to Heal Trauma
In this powerful episode, “The Power of Smell to Heal Trauma,” I get to introduce you to one of my favorite clinical psychologists and friend, Dr. Ben Perkus.
In January 2019, I was introduced to him through a vivacious friend and life hasn’t been the same since. There are those times in our lives when a day changes the trajectory of one’s course.
She said to me, “You have to know about AFT.”
I said, “AF-what?”
She then shared everything she knew about Aroma Freedom Technique + how it had helped her resolve some deeply rooted, trauma-related issues in her life.
Two days later, I had signed up for the practitioner training and became certified in AFT six months later.
It changed my life.
It changed my practice.
It changed me.
Today, I pray it brings a beautiful change into your life. Or at least the beginning of one.
In this episode, you will:
- Learn all about Aroma Freedom Technique and how it works.
- Listen to Dr. Perkus’s story and how the “idea for AFT” came to him.
- Be schooled in the four parts of the memory complex.
- Be inspired to trace God’s hand in your own life story.
- Be invited to use the power of smell to heal trauma that might be keeping you from freedom.
- Experience a beautiful heart-centering exercise.
- Start your HEARTLIFTING JOURNEY today.
This week’s resources
Sometimes the story we tell ourselves is not really true. Sometimes the story others tell about us is not really true. On “Today’s Heartlift with Janell,” Author, Trauma-informed, board-certified marriage and family specialist, and Professional Heartlifter, Janell Rardon, opens conversations about how emotional health and mental fitness effects absolutely every area of our lives. When we possess and practice healthy, strong, resilient emotional health practices, life is so much better. Read Janell’s newest book, “Stronger Every Day: 9 Tools for an Emotionally Healthy You.”
”There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception. ”
Have you ever felt nameless?
You know, unseen, unknown, maybe even, invisible?
Listen as Paige Allen, author of He Knows Your Name: How 7 Nameless Women of the Bible Reveal Christ's Love For You,” shares how time spent in a wintering rose garden transformed how she perceived her name.
Begin Your Heartlifter's Journey:
- Visit Heartlift Central on Substack. This is our new online coaching center and meeting place for Heartlifters worldwide.
- Learn more about Paige and her new book + work: PAIGE ALLEN
- Subscribe to Paige's newsletter and download Chapter 1 of her book: CHAPTER ONE
- Support the show:
- Subscribe to the Substack Community
- Make a tax-deductible donation through Heartlift International
- Learn more about Beauty Counter and get 20% off your first order: CLEAN MAKEUP and FACE CARE.
- Learn more about Young Living Therapeutic-Grade Essential Oils and the Aroma Freedom Technique: HEALINGFROMTRAUMA
- Meet me on Instagram: @janellrardon
- Meet Paige on Instagram: @paigeallentexas
Today's Heartlift with Janell is currently fully supported by Heartlift International, a 501(c)3 committed to making home and family the safest, most secure place on earth. Every resource developed, every podcast recorded, and every book written has one goal: To help families become stronger every day.
Learn more about Heartlift International and help support this podcast with your tax-deductible donation: https://www.janellrardon.com/heartliftinternational/
Connect with Dr. Perkus & Aroma Freedom Technique
- Dr. Perkus’s Training Vault
- Order Dr. Perkus’s book, Aroma Freedom Technique
- Article on “Why Smells Trigger Such Vivid Memories”
- Article: How scent, emotion, and memory are intertwined
- Aroma Freedom website
- Become a Certified Practitioner
- Order Your Aroma Freedom Essential Oils Starter Kit
- Schedule your FIRST AFT SESSION with Janell